Wednesday, September 26, 2012

All Things Hold Together


"He is before all things, and in him all things hold together." 
Colossians 1:17

What does that mean to you?
It may seem pretty straight forward, but do we fully comprehend all that is being said in that tiny sentence?
                I consider myself pretty privileged to live in  a country where I have the opportunity to study at a Christian university. To have a place where you can openly talk about God, start every class with a word or prayer, have chapel once a week, have access to spiritual advisors/counsellors, etc. - I don't know about you, but that doesn't seem like a typical North American university to me! We are truly blessed.Anyway...I'm getting a little off course. This verse, Colossians 1:17 is our theme verse for this academic year. And what a fitting one at that!
          
                 I have heard this verse since I was a young little tot, and never before have I really comprehended it's meaning, especially those last seven words - "and in him all things hold together." Did you catch that? ALL THINGS! Really? This doesn't just include our families, our marriage, our relationships, our jobs, our finances, our ____________ (you fill in the blank)....it also includes the stress, the madness, the confusion and the chaos of everyday life. I don't know about you, but I would gladly give that to a God that promises me that he will hold it all together.

                 So why do we worry so much? Well partially I think it's just human nature to worry, and partially I just don't think we've grasped the Supremacy that God has. God has told us time and time again that he will hold onto us; he is the glue that keeps us in tact. His reign is so supreme, that we shouldn't have to worry about any of that stuff.


Are you thinking a little bit differently about this verse?
Yeah, me too.

4 comments:

  1. What an ecouraging, challenging post!
    LOVED it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks once again for your wonderful thoughts. What a wonderful god we serve.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friends!
Thanks for stopping by - leave a comment so I know you were here! And remember, please keep all posts free from abusive or foul language.

Blessings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...