Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The "F" Word

         Just in case you're wondering, the "F" word I am referring to is "Failure" (but I got your attention, didn't I?) - I thought I would clear that up before going any further.

[source]
           As most of you know (and if you didn't, I'm telling you now), I am in school going through to get my bachelor's degree in education. And today, marks 1 week until I am in an ACTUAL classroom, with ACTUAL students, with them ACTUALLY expecting me to teach them something. Yikes - talk about pressure! This makes me incredibly nervous (scared, emotional, frightened, etc. etc.). And it's not like I should be nervous at all. I mean, I have tons of experience working with kids (oodles and oodles!). But every time I think about it, this little poisonous idea of failure seeps into my mind. What if I don't know what to do? What if I can't speak in front of them? What if I can't handle a classroom? What if I'm not creative enough? What if, what if, what if....

           This causes me much anxiety and a little bit of an identity crisis. You see, as long as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a teacher. Always! I worked hard in school, got good grades, volunteered in the field, made connections, and completed 3 years of university...all in hopes of coming out with this diploma.

           The thought of failure is poisonous. It's a moment of doubt, which causes you to question everything. We all have these ideal "timelines" that we have for our lives. Graduated by 21. Dream job at 23. Married by 25. Kids by 27.

But what if our life doesn't go according to "plan"?
Did we fail?

            If I don't get married by 27, did I fail? What if I don't get married at all? If you don't have kids by the time you thought you would have had some, who are you really letting down? We set these horrid, impossible standards for ourselves. We don't know what our future is going to bring, but we do know who controls our future. God. He's got everything in control. We just have to sit back, and let him lead us.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lead not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he shall make direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

Did you get that? Lean not on your OWN understanding!! 
Jesus says "I've got the plan. My timeline for your life is perfect. Trust me!"

--------------------------------------------------------------

             With that being said, I still have anxiety about next week, but I am trying my best to give it up to the Lord. "Cast all your cares upon him, for he cares for you" (1 Peter 5:7)


Do you have a fear of failure? (Please tell me I'm not the only one!!!)

4 comments:

  1. Nope! IT's not failure at all. Why worry about time when our daddy is the author of time? It doesn't make sense LOL. His timing is perfect

    Mind if I ask how old are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Failure... all too familiar a thought. I would say that I feel most of those anxieties and worries about being in the classroom next Monday (but I am so excited to chat after that first day and we can hear all about how we were totally ridiculous to have been nervous lol).
    It is so true that we set these goals of being married at a certain age, or having kids, etc, and yet it is GOD who is in control of deciding what age, or if ever, we will hit those events.
    Thanks again for sharing your heart. I shall be praying for you Monday as we both step into the classrooms :) So excited to see how God uses you this year (that class you will be in is full of lucky students who get to have a teachers assistant like you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda <3
      Your words are so encouraging. I shall be praying for you as well - new experiences for us both! You'll do great!

      Delete

Hey friends!
Thanks for stopping by - leave a comment so I know you were here! And remember, please keep all posts free from abusive or foul language.

Blessings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...