Friday, January 13, 2012

Follow Your Heart?

      I had a conversation with a friend today. We chatted about life, school, relationships - you know, girl stuff!! As we discussed the future, she simply said that she had no idea what was upcoming for her, that when she got to the next stage of her life, she would just  follow her heart.

     I thought about that all day today. Follow your heart? Our hearts are so fragile and house all our inner desires. Can they really be that reliable? I think of a verse from Proverbs which says

"Above all else guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it." (Proverbs 4:23)

     
       Our hearts are the core of our being; our true selves. This verse just confirms the idea of how precious our hearts are, not only to us, but to God. They are so special, that God warns to keep it safe from harm. But, then I think of a verse I learned in Awana (kid's club) as a kid, which didn't make sense until I was much older.

"The heart is decietful above all things and desperatly wicked, who can understand it?" (Jeremiah 17:9)

         Can we trust our hearts? Our hearts can be fooled, lied to, tricked into thinking thinks that are untrue. My favourite quote in this regard is from the movie Fireproof  (if you haven't seen it yet, it's wonderful! I highly recommend it for anyone - married or not). Watch the clip below to see what I mean (if you don't have much time, skip to 2:45, near the end of the clip).


"And don't just follow your heart, man, 'cause your heart can be deceived. But you've got to lead your heart."

           With those words, I leave you now. How true they are. I think decisions are made with your head leading your heart; with God leading you in the direction He wants you to follow.

1 comment:

  1. :) thanks... I know my heart is giving me trouble lately. I now want to get it so in tune with God that I can know it is Him alone that is leading and guiding my heart.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friends!
Thanks for stopping by - leave a comment so I know you were here! And remember, please keep all posts free from abusive or foul language.

Blessings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...