Friday, March 09, 2012

The Error of My Ways

             Before I started writing my own blog, I never used to read anyone elses' (with a few exceptions), but over the last couple of months I've been reading them like mad! Recently I've stumbled upon the blog by Kelly Needham called Just a Day in the Life of a Recording Artist's Wife. I highly recommend that you all check it out!

              One of her posts (My First Love) really challenged me. How many times do we a young Christian woman say "I'm waiting on God to bring my future husband"? Kelly paints us a picture like this:

             "You are at a restaurant and have just ordered a pizza. A friend walks in and sits down with you and asks, “What are you doing?” And you respond with, “I am waiting on the waiter to bring me my pizza.” (Does this sentence structure sound familiar?) In this example, you do not have much regard for the waiter. The waiter is only the vehicle by which you get what you are truly there for: your pizza. You are not expecting the waiter to come and sit down and talk with you, but to simply deliver the pizza."


              Wow! I never, ever thought about that before. Are we simply using God as the messenger? Are we simply seeking God until He brings us what we really desire: a husband? In this regard, I am guilty as charged! Kelly poses a challenging question to us all: What are you more excited about: Jesus or your future husband? I would like to think that I would answer that question with "Jesus", but I'm not sure that I would be being honest in that response.

            What a wake-up call! I've been putting a man, whom I've never even met, onto a pedestal and elevating him above God; thus creating an idol.I have placed a potential, future relationship with my husband before God; I have put an emphasis on an earthly relationship ahead of one with my heavenly Father. What have I been doing?!


"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.
Mark 12:29-30

So now, I pose the same question to you:
"What are you more excited about: Jesus or your future husband?"

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for coming to this! Perspective is seeing God first :) No matter if the thing we put in front of Him is bad or good, it's still wrong.
    God first!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... that is a toughy. Never thought bout that before.
    Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friends!
Thanks for stopping by - leave a comment so I know you were here! And remember, please keep all posts free from abusive or foul language.

Blessings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...