Monday, March 19, 2012

Hardest One Yet...


            Yes, this is the hardest post I've had to write yet to date. I went back and forth deciding whether or not I should even post it. Finally I came to the conclusion that if I'm feeling this way, than so must other single gals (please tell me I'm not the only one!).

           Did you ever have such a crush on another person that you imagine yourself with them? You wonder what your dating relationship will look like, what your wedding will be like, your home, your family, and so on and so forth? I am guilty as charged!

         One of the reasons that I was so hesitant about writing this post, was because I didn't want to admit it to myself that this is what I've been doing. I've been holding this guy up on a pedestal in my mind, and finally I came to the realization that THIS IS NOT FAIR!

       What if one day I got together with this guy. We started dating, and he is nothing like I imagined he would be; I would be sorely disappointed. But working him up in my mind is not only not fair to me, it's not fair to him. It's not fair to my future husband. If I always hold this guy to an unbelievable standard in my mind, he is what I'm going to be comparing my future husband to. And furthermore, it's not fair to God.

"Although they claimed to be wise. they became fools and exchanges the glory of immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles. They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator -- who is forever praised. Amen." (Romans 1:22-24)

          When God teaches us against having idols in the Bible, do you think He meant guys too? I think it's safe to say, yes!!!! Guys can distract us from God; from doing what He wants us to do. I've slightly spoke about this before in my post The Error of My Ways, in which I look at the idea of elevating a guy above God. Check it out.

What do you think about all of this? 
Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this......

1 comment:

  1. hmmm. Guilty as charged for me too (times a thousand!)
    I often have to ask myself "am I thinking more about my future relationship than about God?" Each day it is a struggle to make sure that I am not idolizing guys (or the idea of an eventual guy).

    Thanks for sharing this post... honesty binds us single girls together lol

    ReplyDelete

Hey friends!
Thanks for stopping by - leave a comment so I know you were here! And remember, please keep all posts free from abusive or foul language.

Blessings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...